Saturday, May 10, 2008

Public Market = Yum!

In my continued search for good food, I finally made it down to the Public Market today. It was about the size of the Portland Saturday Market, but replace almost all of the crafty people with food vendors. It was great. There were the typical tables of fresh produce, but also handmade breads, maple syrup, wines, honey, meat and seafood, etc. There were also some little bakeries and restaurants in buildings surrounding the market and a lot of food carts. Apparently in New York elephant ears/beaver tails are just called "fried dough". I spent about $15 and filled my bike baskets to near bursting.

This afternoon the plan is to finish my Protecting Human Subjects in Research homework, which I keep trying to read, but always fall asleep instead. So, I figure if I'm baking muffins while reading the book I have extra encouragement to not fall asleep. I bought myself a muffin tin and ingredients for apple walnut muffins yesterday. We'll see how the plan goes. Chances are I'll just fall asleep anyway and burn the muffins.

I've got big plans for the rest of the weekend too. Blues party tonight, sadly way on the other side of town, and then meeting Mike, the bike shop friend, to go to the Lilac Festival. We're meeting at 2pm, so hopefully I'll be sufficiently recovered from the blues party. It should be a fun weekend.

No comments: