Friday, May 9, 2008

Cheese, Gromit!

I went to the other grocery store near my house today. Wow, what a difference. Yes, the prices were a bit higher, but the food looked like I would actually want to eat it! Also, they sell Tillamook cheese. It's in the fancy cheeses case, which I find hilarious, but as long as I can buy it I don't care what case I'm buying it from. I also found some more staples of my diet (waffles, good peanut butter, etc.) It's very comforting to know that there is now food in the house that I will actually want to eat. The only major disappointment was the yogurt. I can't find large tubs of greek-style yogurt anywhere. I'm going to have to become less picky.

While I was at the checkout, I was packing the bags into my backpack for the ride home. The sweet old lady doing the checking out asked if I was walking home with an incredulous tone of voice. I told her no, I'm on my bike. She gave me a very shocked expression and then said with a concerned tone, "You make sure you take it easy out there, honey." It was very sweet, but I had a hard time not laughing. Especially since the ride to Wegman's was along the roads with the nicest wide shoulders I have yet to see in Rochester. The only bike-related mishap today was when I unlocked my bike to ride home. I didn't realize that it was weighted down on the side opposite me and it fell before I could do anything about it. No hamr to the bike, but about half of my eggs didn't make it. The casualties of shopping by bike.

I also got around to calling the city for a recycling bin today. Can you believe that this house didn't have one? I asked the landlord about it and he just shrugged it off, didn't care at all. So I am having one delivered sometime next week. I told the nameless roommate (I think his name might be Robert) and he seemed happy that I had gone ahead and called. We had a bit of a rant about our landlord together in the kitchen while I was making lunch today. I'm glad I'm not the only one that is frustrated. Apparently the dryer downstairs has been broken for about 4 months and he hasn't done anything about it. The house was advertised as having a washer and dryer less than 2 months ago, so this is really not okay. I'm wondering if I can buy one and just deduct the amount from my rent check one of these months. The guy I bought my mattress from also sells dryers for $100 and will deliver for no charge.

Shopping was the most exciting thing so far today. I will be going to a swing dance tonight. I even bought shoes for it, although they aren't dancing shoes. They're actually Keds. But they should work well enough, since I didn't bring my old worn out dancing shoes with me when I moved. I'm hoping that enough un-heated spin cycles in the broken dryer will get my clothes dry so I have something to wear.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That reminds me, my grocery list needs a tub of Nancy's added to it...