Sunday, May 4, 2008

Day 1 Report

I've been here for most of a day now. Here's my impression so far:

The Good:
- Roommates that keep to themselves. I hardly even see them.
- Easily accessible bus stops. Less than a 5 minute walk from the house.
- Zipcar. I have a Matrix sitting in the driveway waiting to take me to Target this evening.
- Pizza delivery.
- Craigslist. A guy should be delivering a bed for me in a couple of hours.
- The weather. It is gorgeous out there.

The Bad:
- Roommates that keep to themselves. They're not exactly useful sources of information while locked in their rooms. And I will have to do my friend-finding elsewhere.
- Confusing bus schedules. Seriously, check it out.
- No bike yet. I want to go play in the sunshine.

The Ugly:
- My house is right in between the suburbs and downtown. 5 minutes to the west is the land of strip malls. 5 minutes to the east is a scary area of barred up shops and sketchy people that I've already been warned not to venture into. Luckily my immediate neighborhood is nice and it only gets nicer between here and the UofR campus.

So, things are pretty good right now. I got myself some food and other necessities and my room is starting to come together. I'll post pictures once the bed is in place. Tomorrow will be a day to explore campus and get my student ID, email, etc.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for roommates that keep to themselves. You may be missing them now, but once you're busy with your course work and have made new friends at school you'll be glad that your roomies leave you alone.
Yay for zipcar!
I hope you can manage to stay away from the scary parts of town. Sounds like you shouldn't have too much trouble avoiding those areas.
Do you know your roommates' names yet?
Have you had a chance to check out the campus yet? Does it look nice?
Can't wait for pics!
Laurie

Unknown said...

There's nothing wrong with strip malls. You can buy anything China makes!

Oh man, Google doesn't have their public transit info. That sucks.

Unknown said...

Good luck with the sketch. We can join together and make the anti-sketchy-locals league. I think it'll be big!

Caitlin said...

One is my landlord, so I have to know his name because I write checks to him. I forgot my other roommates name, which is sad because he's the friendlier of the two. I'll hopefully hear it again eventually.

The campus looks great, I'll be doing the picture thing over there soon.

The strip mall thing isn't a problem, really, just a big change. Besides, I found the cool part of town today :)

My sketchy makes your sketchy look downright high class. Seriously, boarded up doors, broken windows, nobody out on the street except people you really don't want to talk to... yeah, I won't be going through there except by car in the daylight if necessary.