Thursday, September 4, 2008

School stuff

Classes started on Tuesday. I'm currently taking Psych/Mental Health, Research, and Therapeutic Interventions 2 (aka "The Tubes and Tests Course"). On Tuesday I picked up my shiny new toy, which came with a drug guide and lab tests guide. Not that I've used those yet, but they're available. I also had my first lab, where we "learned" how to take stool and urine samples (The trick is to catch the pee in the cup!), and my first psych lecture. We didn't really learn anything in psych except about the dress code.

Acceptable professional attire includes tasteful (business style) skirts, slacks, jumpers, dress blouses, tailored shirts, turtlenecks, sweaters, jackets or blazers. Please do not wear denim, jean-like, or khaki material. Lab coats should not be worn. Footwear may be any conventional color except white. No white socks, sneakers, athletic shoes, open-toed shoes, sandals or high heels. When boots are needed for inclement weather, students will need to change to appropriate shoes for their clinical work. Book bags and coats should be placed in lockers because they are not permitted in clinical sites. Minimal jewelry is recommended (for example, a wedding band, watch with second hand, plain stud earrings). Please do not wear large earrings or hoops. If you wear make-up, please wear it tastefully. Please do not wear perfume or after shave lotion. No nail polish and length of natural nails is no longer than 1/4 inch from the finger tip.


Now, that doesn't sound so bad, except I don't wear any of that stuff. I wear tank tops, t-shirts, capris, and cargo pants. Other than that, everything I own is really formal. So, I had to go shopping yesterday. I spent way too much money, but managed to get a couple of nice tops, some dress pants, and a pair of appropriate shoes. I also got myself a pair of jeans, ordered a bridesmaid dress for Matthew and Leah's wedding, did some grocery shopping and forgot to take my passport application to the post office. Still, not bad for one afternoon with a zipcar.

Today was my orientation to Rochester Psychiatric Center, which will be my clinical site for the next 5 weeks. It's going to be interesting, but I don't think I'm going to enjoy it. Because these patients can pretty much take care of all their basic needs independently, and we're not going to be allowed to pass meds there, we'll mostly be observing. But who knows, I might surprise myself. We did get to have a very interesting discussion with three recovering/recovered patients that are now "patient advocates". They come in and talk to current patients and help them get their lives figured out. Hearing about their experiences dealing with their mental illnesses was quite amazing, especially when compared with how stable they all are now. Two of them had been homeless, one had stolen a car without realizing it, all three had spent time in prison for various charges, but now they all have jobs, apartments, and are rebuilding their relationships with friends and family. It was really fascinating, and a good way to help us remember that the patients we meet will most likely recover, even if it takes years.

No comments: