Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Recruitment

We're being seriously recruited. It's time to start thinking about where I'm going to apply for jobs and what kind of jobs those are going to be. Of course, my first choice of job would be to work on the BMT floor at OHSU. Since that is unlikely to mesh with my graduate school plans, I need to expand my search a little. Like, to the BMT floor at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester. Which, by the way, offers full tuition reimbursement for any classes at UofR for anyone that has a) worked at SMH for a year or b) worked in a university setting for a year. I believe I fall into category b. Pretty sweet deal, huh?

Then again, if I get into the MSN/PhD program, tuition is covered anyway. But, this would be a good backup in case I don't get accepted and end up doing just the MSN or something. Speaking of MSN/PhD programs, I've requested more information about the program at University of Pennsylvania (Ivy League, on my!) in Philadelphia. I hear good things about Philly from my housemates (they've both lived there) and Sarah and Ronen might consider following me there if I go, since they have an exceptional nurse midwifery program as well. Haven't discussed the whole moving thing much with Paul yet, I need to have a talk with him soon though.

I've been missing Portland a lot this week. Maybe because the weather has been so quintessentially Portland-like. About 65 degrees and misting rain. I love it, but it makes me homesick. Rochester is an okay place, but I would never choose to stay here because of the city itself, it would take something like getting into a fully-funded dual degree program to keep me here. I don't know if I would like Philadelphia any better, but I could at least visit there before moving. One definite perk of Philadelphia would be more access to the things I love to do, like cycling and dancing. There is no such thing as a women's cycling team in Rochester, the city is just too small to support it. And dancing is extremely limited and doesn't seem worth the effort to get out on a weeknight. Then again, if none of my friends came with me to Philadelphia, I'd have to start all over again.

Basically, I'm back to the waiting game, not sure if I'm hoping for my decision to be made for me by admissions committees or if I'd rather have all my options open and have to choose myself. So far my decision to come out here has proven to be a good one, but right now I"m really unsure if I want to stay for 5 more years.

1 comment:

Leah said...

wait till winter then you can decide about living in Rochester for more time.... I know Matthew has totally forgotten what to do in the snow - maybe I am even forgetting! (but we know what to do about rain....)