Monday, September 15, 2008

Quick update

I met with the director of the Ms/PhD program here last week. She talked me through the whole program, and how to pay for it, and how to apply. It was extremely helpful, and I've now decided that I will be applying. The program lasts 4-5 years and they only take 2-3 students each year, so I'm not sure if I'll get in but I can at least apply. I'm also looking at schools in Boston, Philadelphia, and San Fransisco. And I contacted OHSU to see if I could do their Master's and PhD programs simultaneously. Unfortunately, it sounds like I'll need to get an Adult Nurse Practitioner license, which OHSU does not offer.

In other news, I've been having a great time with my housemates. Jess continues to bake cookies every night (coincidentally, I started going to the gym again) and Jordan is rarely around but when he is we generally geek out together about health stuff or gadgets like my new iPod. I've settled in well and I really love living here.

Things are still going well with Paul and I. His parents will be in town for a little while at the end of the week, so I'll probably be meeting them. Since my schedule is completely wacky and his is completely normal we have difficulty getting a lot of time together, but that'll be changing as soon as I'm done with Psych.

Speaking of psych, I hate it. I don't really feel the need to elaborate, except to say that mental health care is an oxymoron and I'm spending my clinical time angry and frustrated. I will be very glad when it's over.

We had the tail end of Hurricane Ike come through Rochester last night. Wind was gusting up to 60mph and blew down many trees and knocked our power out for about 18 hours (midnight until I got home this evening). Luckily I was in class almost all day, so it didn't really affect me too much, still very annoying and by far the longest power outage I can remember. The only casualty was our ice cream.

Sarah and I have a plan to go to the gym together three times every week starting on Monday. We'll see if it works, but I think it'll help me a lot to be responsible to someone. Ideally I'd like to be 15-20 pounds lighter by the beginning of the collegiate cycling season next spring. That should be doable, as long as I work hard at it and Jess's cookie production slows down.

No comments: