Monday, October 13, 2008

Clinicals

I started my adult health rotation last week. I'll spend 5 weeks on a cardiovascular surgery floor, then 5 weeks on a short stay medical floor. Here's a quick rundown on what my weeks are going to look like from now until Christmas:

Mon: Lecture noon-8pm

Tues: Lecture 8am-3pm, go to clinical unit and copy patient information, write up a report on patient including primary diagnosis with pathophysiology, up to 6 comorbid diagnoses, explain their pathophysiology and effect on primary diagnosis, past medical history, drug cards for medications (up to 12), and a priority nursing diagnosis.

Wed: Clinical 7am-4pm, write up a report that includes assessment of patient, and nursing care plan with daignoses, interventions, expected outcomes, and method of evaluation.

Thurs: Clinical 7am-4pm, implement the care plan, write up an evaluation of whether it worked.

Fri: Simulation or Community Health (alternating Fridays). For simulation days, write SBAR report, critique partner's SBAR, blog, and comment on blog.

That's the summary for this class alone. I guess that's what happens when you take a single class worth 8 credits.

Other than the crazy workload, I think I'll really enjoy this clinical rotation. My instructor is great, gets really involved while we're on the floor. And the patient population is mostly interesting. I say mostly because I'm interested in cardiac surgery patients, but not vascular surgery patients. Vascular surgery is a lot of, "Oh, you had uncontrolled diabetes for your entire life, we're going to cut your gangrenous leg off now." I'm hoping to be assigned a cardiac patient for this week.

Also, our nurse manager had breakfast there for us on the first day. How cool is that?

I'll write more about clinicals when I start to get interesting stories to tell.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I don't know.... Chopping off a gangrenous leg is pretty interesting. If that's all for one class, how many other classes are you taking this term and what are they?

Caitlin said...

It's really much more boring than it sounds, unless you're the patient or the surgeon.

I have two other classes: Research and Therapeutic Interventions (the tubes lab). There's a lot of writing for research, but otherwise those ones don't take up too much time, thankfully.